Max Length for HMTL Editor

Oct 14, 2010 at 7:32 PM

Is there a Max Length property or method to apply as I want to implement a Max Length on the HTML Editor in Design Mode. I was attempting to use Jquery but running into some issues as I am not fully aware of the methods to derive from the editor.

Anyone have suggestions.

Coordinator
Oct 20, 2010 at 11:59 PM

Hello,  the max length functionality that you seek is currently missing in the editor. However, it's a very small change and I'm sure others will find it useful so I have included it as a new feature in the coming release.

The new date for the next release is the 24th. I'll keep you posted here with details on what's new in this area in particular. Perhaps you or others reading this thread will find it useful. 

Regards,

Alessandro

Oct 21, 2010 at 12:02 AM

Excellent. Look forward to testing. It's been a neat typps experience so far. Good Job!

Coordinator
Oct 24, 2010 at 7:23 PM

lol @ typps experience :P:P

So, the max length feature is implemented in the latest release. I have also added a bit of documentation to get you up and running. I don't know if this is exactly how you expect it to work, but it's the most logical approach.

The reference material of interest to you are : 

http://docs.typps.com/2010/10/html-editor.html#limitingthecontentclientside

http://docs.typps.com/2010/10/html-editor.html#limitingthecontentserverside

If for some reason you prefer to re-implement this, then instead of setting MaxLength property, simply add code in the saving/saved clientside event handlers and limit the input that way. One thing you will notice is that max length is enforced only when the save button is clicked or a postback took place circumventing the clientside functionality such as when using a downlevel browser or using a custom save button. The max length is not enforced in real time but this is intentional because it will require re-checking the entire content on keystroke. This will be quite slow on larger documents and impractical, not to mention copy/paste operations which will add more complexity and more code. I have taken the minimalistic approach. If you find something erratic, let me know. I'll fix it and push it in the weekly iteration.

Have a good day,

Alessandro