<p> wrapper for every line

Sep 1, 2010 at 4:10 PM

Hi Alessandro,

nice to know that you're updating your project.

I love it, but I hope you add a needed feature that I miss.

<p> paragraph wrapper after every breakline (after enter is clicked), cross browser(IE does it by default).

You can see this feature in work in tinymce editor (the one that I typed this message :) )

Best regards,

markiz

Coordinator
Sep 1, 2010 at 7:56 PM

Hello Markiz, it's good to hear from you again!

Regarding the p elements, IE does this automatically, you are right. And you are right again that this is not behaving consistently across browsers. p is generated for firefox/ie/opera and a div is generated for webkit based browsers.

That's because for webkit (chrome and safari),  the rich text editing engine they support inserts divs by default instead of the p element. This is the route webkit decided to take unfortunately.

Midas (rich text editing engine in mozilla based browsers) allows you to override default behavior by a simple configuration setting, webkit does not and requires you to workaround writing custom code and maintaining this code.

So far I have stuck to fixing invalid html. A div instead of p on ENTER is still valid HTML even though we lose some semantics because a div is not a paragraph, the issue is not big enough to warrant working around, that's why I left it as it is since it is perfectly working behavior.

Don't worry, I will continue to debate this problem some more in my head and see if I find an excuse to start working around webkit.

Have a good day,

Alessandro

Sep 1, 2010 at 8:42 PM

Thanks for the reply. 

Also a needed feature (that will work great whit paragraphs) is Right-to-left and left-to-right switch (like you have in gmail and in tinymce), so it will be possible to switch direction per paragraph.

Regards

Coordinator
Sep 1, 2010 at 10:22 PM
markiz wrote:

Thanks for the reply. 

Also a needed feature (that will work great whit paragraphs) is Right-to-left and left-to-right switch (like you have in gmail and in tinymce), so it will be possible to switch direction per paragraph.

Regards

good idea. I'll add it in one of the coming releases. Thanks